Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sometimes Karma Is A Cruel Entity

We have all heard of karma and at times we have wished for karma to pay a visit to someone who has done us wrong. Well today karma visited someone who done me wrong but I think it was a bit of an over-kill.

Before anyone who doesn't know who Brad is asks who he is, he is a co-worker who played a practical joke on me a couple of weeks ago. He most certainly didn't deserve this.

This morning while at work the guy that locked me in the freezer had a visit by karma. Before I go any further I want people to know that I did not want anything bad to happen to Brad. As a matter of fact Brad actually seems to be an okay guy, and a decent guy. You might notice that the below picture has a warning. In order to view this picture all you need to do is place your mouse over top. This picture isn't an actual picture of his injury but it is very, very, very similar. I actually found this image by doing a Google search.

Okay, this is what happened. I'm not sure how familiar the readers of my blog are with forklifts but I will try my best to explain. The forklift we have at this grocery store is used only for moving large pallets worth of grocery good off the delivery truck and staging them so that it is easier to do inventory before we actually put the product on the sales floor. This type of forklift runs off of a big battery that weighs about 600 lbs. Normally the forklift's battery is plugged in at night in order to make sure it stays charged. Well the night shift for the last few days has neglected to plug the battery in. Thus the battery was dead and it needed to be swapped out for the backup battery so that the 70 pallets worth of product could be unloaded from the 2 delivery truck. Even though the battery is on rollers of sorts, it's still a two person job to replace this battery. Well Brad, poor, poor Brad decided that he was man enough to change it all by himself. The short answer is he wasn't man enough. Sorry Brad, but there's a reason why things come with instructions.

I knew he was going to try and change the battery himself, I was in the process of leaving the stockroom area to find another guy to help him. I didn't see the manager but I did see the meat guy (butcher). He agreed to help and while we were going back into the stockroom to help Brad change the battery, we heard a loud crash and a rather deep voice screaming like a girl. It didn't take long before we figured out what just happened and the meat guy and I ran into the stockroom to find Brads fingertip trapped underneath this 600 lb forklift battery. Now you might think that his finger would have only been crushed but it was pretty much skinned, almost exactly like the one in the picture. According to Brad, as the battery began to fall he tried to stop it from falling. Once he realized it was too heavy to catch he then tried to move his hand out from underneath before it smashed his hand. Right as the edge of the battery made contact with his class ring he tried jerking his hand out. Well, gravity is pretty fast and when an object has as much momentum as a 600 lb battery it can do some really strange things. The battery crushed his ring as his hand was moving away. Essentially the ring cut the skin around his finger and him jerking his hand away peeled it all down toward his fingertip. When the meat guy and I got there his finger tip was still trapped underneath. Can anyone say OOOUCH?

Long story short, company policy is to call an ambulance in the event a worker gets injured. I insisted that someone drive Brad to the emergency room because the injury was bad enough where I thought he needed immediate medical attention to make sure he doesn't lose his finger. I happened to be the elected driver. Brad had a car so we used his and I drove. I was up at the hospital for about 3 hours before his mom and dad finally told me to go ahead and leave. His mom gave me a ride home. This was around 1:00 pm  About an hour ago I got a call from brad and they had to do surgery on his finger. He has a pin in his fingertip and they think he will have permanent nerve damage.

The moral of this story is that sometimes it is best to not joke around at work because karma has a way about getting back at ya. I do think karma took retribution just a hair too far. Poor, poor, Brad. I hope your finger heals quickly. I think I will kinda miss having you around at work.

6 comments:

  1. Eww, that picture is so foul. Yikes. Yes, poor, poor Brad. And gross, gross picture.

    Remind me to never cross you because it seems that Karma takes messing with you pretty seriously! (Should come in handy in a little under a week!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I just wanted to remind you that Karma has my back. LOL

    It will be my luck all the Karma landed on poor Brad and will skip the one who really deserves it. We will find out though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I can't believe you wrote about this. You are so mean. M_M9 I will never cross her again because karma does seem to have her back. Jamie I found your website by googling what you talked to my mom about. She said that you said the title of your website so I googled it and I found this. I hope you don't mind that I found it. This is the only post I have read and thats because my name was the first word. I won't read anymore unless I know you dont care. Again I am really sorry about playing that joke on you I just din't know what happend to you. I would like to try and help you with all this if I can but I wont' read anything unless you let me kno it is okay. By they way thanks for driving me to the hospital. the next time you drive me to the hospital slow down a little becuae I was a little scared. Just kidding. I hope it is okay that I made a comment here.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number 1 - I'm not mean. I don't have a mean bone in me.

    Number 2 - Refer back to number 1 until it sinks in.

    Number 3 - I have zero control of where the karma lands so I might not be safe to be around. I would hate to see you get a gimp foot along with your very fugly finger.

    Number 4 - You know how to use a search engine, I imagine apes felt the same sense of accomplishment when they learned how to use sticks as tools.

    Number 5 - This is an important one, I am kidding with you, I am mean and even rude, I have been told so. For real Brad, I'm just kidding about number 4.

    Yes it is okay that you found my blog, I have it on the internet so that people can find it. I don't really care if you read any part of my blog but I do ask that you don't talk about the stuff you read here to other people, especially people at work. I don't want people treating me differently. You are welcome to read and comment but please be nice. One other big thing, please don't bring this stuff up in person or ask me a lot of questions. The stuff in this blog is very personal to me and very sensitive. I appreciate your offer to help me.

    Number 6 - I am a good driver, you should consider yourself lucky that I drove you to the hospital, because I didn't charge you a dime, an ambulance would have. LOL

    Poor, poor, Brad. The whole freezer thing, well you can forget about that now. Trust me, we are now even. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are weird but I sort of dig it. Number 4 made me laugh your such a smart ass. I promise you I will not try to make you feel weird because of me reading your blog. and I wont talk about this stuff to others. I promise. As long as you don't mind I am going to read your blog and help you if I can. I will star at the beginning and read there and work my way to the front. I have no idea how long you have had this blog so I have no idea how many pages you have but I will read them. You can change your mind at anytime. I dont mind. By the way your a good driver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For real Brad it is okay that you read and comment. Just be respectful and from the comments you have made, you have been.

    ReplyDelete

Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.
- Oscar Wilde quotes