Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Think I Just Helped My Dad Get A Date

Okay, so my little sister is spending the night over a friend's house then dad and I went out to Nana's Country Kitchen for supper. We sit down to eat and we notice that the waitress is a new waitress. Nana's Country Kitchen is a really small restaurant that has a pub side and a restaurant side. Usually they have two waitresses on the restaurant side and one on the pub side. Today it was just the opposite; I guess more people felt like drinking today than usual. Anyway, like I said the waitress on the restaurant side was new and she had never met us. She was very polite and she is quite attractive. Well she came and took our order and dad had his usual country fried steak and I had my usual parmesan chicken. Yes, we are not very adventurous.

While we were waiting for our food we noticed that our waitress kept staring at us, not in a rude way just looking at us. Our waitress and the two working on the pub side were standing around each other and they began to laugh loudly like someone just said a really funny joke. Meanwhile all three of them were looking at us. Dad and I looked at each other searching for something funny about each others hair, clothes, or whatever but we didn't see anything obviously funny about us so we just sort of brushed it off.

I pretended to get up and use the restroom but I was really getting up to see what the humor was all about. As I was walking that direction one of the waitresses that was working on the pub side walked up to me, this waitress happened to be one that has waited on dad and I several times. Keep in mind that where this waitress and I were standing was far enough away that dad couldn't hear us and unless he looked behind him he wouldn't be able to see us. She began to explain to me that the new waitress that was staring at us walked up to the other two waitresses asking them if they thought me and dad was a couple. She said that she was all like, "there's no way that she is old enough to be dating him". As you can imagine that's what spurred the laughter as the other two waitresses explained that dad and I were father and daughter. I asked this waitress to not let the other waitress (our waitress) know that she has let me know what they were laughing about, and instead tell her that we looked uncomfortable that they were laughing while looking at us. Of course she was confused and wondering what I was up to and in reply I just said, "Please play along it will be fun".

I sat back down at the table with my dad and as the waitress was bringing our food out to us I told dad to "just play along". She gave us our food and began to explain what they were laughing at and how she thought we were on a date. She even apologized for laughing. I looked at this waitress with the straightest face I could make and said in a stunned and stern sounding voice, "What do you mean father and daughter? We are husband and wife. What makes you think we are father a daughter"?

You should have seen the look on her face as she tried to explain that she thought we were a couple and then the other waitresses told her that we were father and daughter. The look on her face was priceless and it was that look between wanting to turn and run and cover your face with you hands. That's when my dad said to her, "Don't worry about it, we often confuse people because of the age difference. It is okay though, I got her parents permission before we began to date".

The look on her face was wonderful. LOL I couldn't hold it in anymore and I buuuussted out laughing. Of course the other two waitresses have been listening in on our joke and they were laughing too. Even the poor new waitress laughed once she realized we were playing a joke on her. This waitress was really nice.

While dad and I were eating, he joked around about how mean I am. Dad also said something that I wasn't really expecting, "She's kind of pretty isn't she".

It took me a couple of seconds to realize that dad was talking about the waitress. Don't misunderstand me, this waitress was actually very pretty, it was just the first time I have ever actually consciously realized dad looked at women in terms of being attracted to them. It's like realizing your parents are having sex and that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach that it causes. I ended up suggesting that dad talk to the waitress and get her phone number. He sort of brushed off that notion and changed the subject.

Later on the waitress comes to our table to give dad the bill for the meal. I told her that I was sorry that we played a joke on her and she said it was okay and that it actually made her day. She and I talked for a few minutes and I found out that she wasn't married and she never had been, nor did she have any children. I mentioned to her that my dad was thinking about dating again and she asked how long he has been divorced. "He's not divorced, mom died in a car accident almost 2 years ago".

Dad gave her the money for the meal and she came back to the table with his receipt. She said it was nice to meet us and then walked away. Dad put a tip on the table and then we left. On the way home I asked dad if I could look at the receipt because I thought we were overcharged. Now I didn't really think we were overcharged, I was testing a theory or a possibility. On the back of the receipt was the waitress's name, "Vicky" and a phone number. She gave my dad her phone number. I helped hook my dad up. Now that's a weird feeling. Now the hard part will be to get him to call her.

8 comments:

  1. Now I will always have the memory of someone calling my dad yummy. Thanks. LOL I will tell him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. I love playing jokes on people. This was a great one! Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun. When Thursday or Friday rolls around I am going to try and get him to call her. I want to watch this phone call. Something tells me it that it will be like watching a baby animal walk for the first time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. well he is! lmao! most welcome =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of you and your dad is soooo adorable! It looks like something you would see on a DVD cover or something! I love the joke you pulled on the waitress, sounds like a fun day, lol! I'm happy you helped get a phone number for your dad...even if that is weird XD. Man I wish I had a picture like that! It would be framed on my wall as "best picture ever" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I really like that pic too. I actually have a print of it in a frame on my dresser.

    ReplyDelete

Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.
- Oscar Wilde quotes