Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Changes In Me

I have noticed some changes in me, more specifically in my personality and perception of those around me. I think my family and close friends see a difference but they can hardly put their fingers on what those changes are. In many respects I am still the same person I always was. I still have this overwhelming urge to figure things out rather it be how things work, why people do this or that, and why I am the way I am. My therapist has told me that my curiosity is a good thing because it will help me in my healing process by compelling me to self-examine. I guess that makes sense. She has also told me to try not to over-examine myself. I'm not sure what she meant by that, but I'm guessing she's worried that my perceptions of my own inner demons will differ from that of a trained professional's perception.

Below are a few of the changes I have noticed:

Personality:
Some of the changes in my personality include me being less comfortable in front of people. This lack of comfort isn't only in front of strangers but also in front of my close friends and family. It seems like my comfort in front of close friends and family shouldn't have changed; after all my assault didn't change them, but it did change my perception of things. This discomfort causes me to keep to myself in my everyday life. I seldom leave the security of my home and when I do I am so hyper aware of everything around me that I'm unable to enjoy what I'm doing. For example the simple act of hanging out with friends makes me uncomfortable. I don't mean a little uncomfortable, but nauseatingly uncomfortable. I think the reason it makes me so uncomfortable is because I now view outside my home as dangerous and inside as safe and much of the conversational topics seem to be trivial. 

Even before this happened to me I have never considered myself to be an extraordinarily happy person, nor have I considered myself to be sad or depressed. I use to smile but to be honest with you I can't remember the last time I spontaneously smiled because I was happy. Don't get me wrong I have smiled since my assault but it was purposeful and for other's benefit instead of my own. I have described this attempt to give off an impression of a well mental health as wearing a mask or disguise. Essentially I think that's what I'm doing, putting on a show for others so they don't worry about me. It's uncomfortable, tiring, and even nauseating to keep it up for long periods of time. Just the 7 hours I spend in school drains the life out of me and often it discourages me because I feel like I haven't healed and never will.

Perception:
I have noticed that I look at things differently than I did before. I laugh on the inside at things people find important or devastating. Many of the same things are the same as I found important or troubling before my assault. I use to worry about how people I go to school with thought of me, but now I don't care. I use to worry about some very trivial and temporary things like my hair color, split ends, do my clothes match my shoes, and do my shoes match my purse. Now whenever I am trying to hang around my friends I have this urge to tell them to shut up and quit complaining about the zit you have on your forehead or that your parents won't buy you a dress. I get so angry over hearing people complain over stuff that doesn't matter. I have one friend who complains about her mother all the time, but sometimes I want to stop her in the middle of her rant and tell her at least she still has her mom. For once I want my friends to complain about something that matters. I know how stupid and selfish that sounds and believe me I wouldn't wish real problems on anyone, especially not my friends and family.

It just seems like so much has changed in my life and it will never go back to the way it was before when I was carefree. I think going through the assault I and so many others have, can cause us to grow up mentally and emotionally much sooner than usual.

Since I am sort of losing my train of thought and on the verge of rambling on for pages and pages, I'm going to finish this with one final statement.

The fact of an ever moving time disallows us to change what has already happened, however all actions in life rather it be pleasant or disheartening has an innate ability to teach us a lesson about the value of life. It's our responsibility to open our eyes and ears to the lessons that are often costly so that they don't set out to teach the deaf and blind.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,
    I have so much I want to say here, but I am going to postpone my comments until tomorrow (can barely keep my eyes opened right now so going to sleep early). For now, just please know that I am thinking about you. HUGS. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some words of wisdom but I'm barely hanging on right now. Just know that I'm always here for you. I will though send you some strength to get you through this and lots of (((((HUGS))))).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep good and reply if you have the words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I'm actually doing pretty good today. My therapist wanted me to write about how I have changed since my assault and this was what I wrote. Thanks for the hugs and here's some for you. (((HUG)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good to hear Jaime and I'm glad she wanted you to do this. Thanks for the hugs back I really needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to a bit of what you've said here. I haven't gone through an assault like you, but this past month I've been dealing with a lot of family stuff (pretty intense things) and it really can change the way you feel about other things. I know I've personally wanted to tell my f riends to shut up when they're complaining about their parents not doing this or that for them..it just seems so trivial after you go through something that changes your entire life.

    I really do think you have great insight into yourself and what you've gone through though, and that will help you to recover and move past all of this (even if it doesn't feel like it right now). Things will get easier and better, even if it takes awhile.

    I know this comment isn't that helpful, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and that you will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your compliments and reply. I know you think your comment isn't helpful but anytime someone else lets me know that I'm not too strange and that the same feelings I am having are similar to theirs it makes me feel better. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks I do need them actually hasn't been the best couple of days for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jaime, I just read through the comments listed below this entry, and I am so happy to hear that you had a good day the other day. I think the exercise that your therapist recommended (i.e., writing out the changes you see in yourself) was a really good exercise. I intended to do it in my last blog entry, but I ended up rambling about a whole host of things :) The changes that you are experiencing are a lot like what I went through. I think it's great that you are recognizing the changes early on. I, too, have been warned about my tendency to "over-examine" myself. For me, I think self-examination crosses into "over-examination" when I start to view my emotions as a completely separate entity from rational thinking. I think I sometimes rationalize things so much that I rationalize myself out of feeling a certain way. Also, I sometimes will examine myself to such a degree that it is almost like I am viewing myself through the eyes of someone else. Not sure if this makes sense, or if I sound a little nutty! :) Thank you for that wonderful thought that you ended on. Are those your words? You continue to be such an inspiration in my life. I hope that your week consisted of more good days. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. AWESOME moving advertisement for your other blog! Very, VERY fancy indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It makes sense, I often view myself from a 3rd person position, especially my emotions.

    Yeah, those are my words at the end. I write crap like that all the time in an effort to try and believe it.

    Although I don't see how I can be, I am glad if somehow I inspire you. Thanks for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. 

    Boredom can leave the mind open to negative influences that aimlessly guide idle hands, but it can also be the catalysis of deep thought and artistic expression.

    That's another Jaime original crap O-quote. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. so NOT crap! I think I found my next "quotation of the week," if that's okay with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feel free to use it if you want to soil your blog. LOL

    I'm feeling silly tonight, lack of sleep I assume. haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Done and done! Hope you got some sleep last night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa! This is very well written.

    ReplyDelete

Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.
- Oscar Wilde quotes