Monday, November 28, 2011

My Earliest Memory Of My Mom

As I sit watching Rachel Ray I was feeling the urge to write. My first thought was to write more about what happened to me. There is so much that happened to me that I haven't even begun to think about writing about, but the last few posts I have made had been sort of on the sad side. Instead I want to share some of my memories of my mom. In this particular post I want to share my earliest memory. I think it might be a fitting way to celebrate her.

I'm unsure how young I was but I'm thinking I was 2 or 3 years old. I was drawing a picture on some paper with crayons. I was either drawing a picture of my mom's head and hair or a bush, I don't remember but I do have a very vague memory of a roundish ovalish shape that may have had eyes. It could have been a drawing of the bushes or maybe mom's tomato plants. It hard to say. I remember mom being there on the floor next to me. She was wearing blue clothes, I don't know if it was a dress, pants, or whatever. She was drinking something out of a cup and I wanted some of whatever she was drinking. I don't know if I asked for some or pointed at her cup, I really can't remember. I remember mom pouring some of the contents out of her cup into one of my sippy cups. I took a drink out of it, but I can't remember what it was or what it tasted like. I remember mom looking at me and laughing and the feeling of her hand as she wiped my chin.

I also remember her wrapping a gift. I think it was the same day and very near the same time as the sippy cup memory. It seemed like she spent forever wrapping this gift. I remember the wrapping paper was white. It seemed like she wrapped it, then unwrapped it, and wrapped it again. The memory is very vague.

Many years later when I reached the age where mom needed to sit me down and explain that I wasn't dying because I was bleeding, the whole ovulation deal. We had a long talk and we reminisced about the past, growing up, becoming a woman, and me as a baby. She bragged to me about how cute of a baby I was and the pride and love she felt when she felt me kick in her belly the first time. Somehow we got into the conversation of early childhood memories. I told her about my memory of the sippy cup. She couldn't remember that incident specifically, but she said that I use to make funny faces whenever I would drink some of her tea. I imagine that my memory of the sippy cup and mom laughing was probably because it was her unsweetened tea that she put in my sippy cup. No wonder she laughed, I had to have made a funny face.

I also asked mom about the wrapping paper but my memory was too vague and she couldn't recall what I was talking about.

This is just a few memories of my mom that I can always hold onto. I would love to talk about these memories with my mom again. I miss her more than I can begin to describe.

Anyway, this was my earliest memory of my mom.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Jaime. I'm so sorry that your mother is no longer here, but I'm glad you have these wonderful memories to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you have these memories of your mom, even if she isn't here with you anymore. I know that she is looking down at you, from wherever she is, and she is proud of the beautiful, strong and intelligent person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading.

    I wish she was still heere too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe she's looking down upon us too. Thank you for your kindness, whoever you are.

    ReplyDelete

Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.
- Oscar Wilde quotes