Tuesday, November 22, 2011

His Haunting Eyes, And My Mask

I get so tired of pretending. I have been trying so hard to heal. I talk and write about my pain and what happened to me like my therapist suggests, and like nearly everyone else suggests. I try my best to remain distracted from my emotions whenever I'm not specifically trying to share them, but they always creep in and take over. I seriously feel like I am losing my mind. I have looked at my reflection in the mirror and I see a stranger looking back at me. I honestly don't know who that person is. She looks just like me physically, but with ugly short hair and a 2 inch scar over my left eye. After 11 weeks the scar is still pink and disgusting. It's more than my physical appearance, it's hard to explain. It's almost like the guy who hurt me has somehow tainted me or become a part of me. I know how ridiculous that sounds and I don't mean it in literal terms.

There was many times while he was hurting me in one way or another that he made me stare into his eyes. He did this under threat of an even greater form of torture. Many of these threats involved tools like hammers, nails, blow torches, knives, and chemicals such as Drano, lighter fluid, and paint thinner. He also threatened to break my bones one at a time if I didn't look him in the eyes while he abused me. All of these threats but one he spared me of. He eventually did break arm because I broke eye contact with him too many times but that's a later story. I spent so long staring into the eyes of the monster that I can't remove them from my memory. The memory of his eyes are just under the surface, and just under the surface of every set of eyes that I see, including my own. When I look into the mirror at my reflection I see my scarred face and messed up hair, but worse than that I see the man who hurt me staring back at me. It feels like he is haunting me in the safety of my own home, and the supposed privacy of my own mind.

I need a lobotomy or something to excise the part of my brain that contains his memory. The sad part is that his memory has become such a part of me that I think my entire brain would have to be removed. I just wish there was a surgical procedure that would work to remove a memory, but I know it's not possible and I'm stuck with this memory. One of my friends have suggested that I see a hypnotist, but as much as I love my friend I have to wonder which one of us is the nut case.

I just wish I could forget his eyes and the disturbing delight they seemed to have as he saw tears falling from mine. I hear his voice when I try to sleep, shower, or even sit and relax. I try so hard to keep my mind occupied because that's the only thing that keeps him away from me. While trying to keep myself occupied I sometimes go overboard when trying to help other people. I know sometimes I go too far and people will not even tell me when I do because they are worried they will hurt my feelings. I don't blame them for being hesitant to say something to me, after all, I have threatened suicide before and that is now always ingrained in other's minds. I will say this once again, that threat of suicide was a one time thing. I will never threaten to commit suicide again.

I want to reset my life, but I know that's impossible. I would like to be able to fast forward through this healing process, but I also know that's impossible. I want to be stronger than I really am, I want to be able to take this mask off and let my strength free so that it can protect me. I'm just not sure what will happen if I remove this mask and people see me for the weak person I really, truly, am on the inside. People will probably run away from me with the sudden realization that I'm a lost cause, and they no longer will waste their energy trying to fix the impossibly broken spirit that is me. I guess I will keep this mask on for a while because I can't afford to lose any support right now.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, Jaime, as I'm reading this, I can't help but feel such extreme disgust and anger towards that monster. I really wish that I could miraculously wipe what he did to you from your mind. And while we (or a hypnotist :-) ) were at it, I'd like to erase him and all people like him (if you can really call beings capable of such sodomy "people"...) from this universe.

    It makes me so angry that he did such horrendous things to you, and I can't even begin to understand it, but there is one thing of which I am certain, and that's that you are not tainted. Though our experiences with sexual assault were very different, I can relate to these feelings, and they are exhausting. I don't know what's more exhausting though, the actual feelings or having to pretend the feelings don't exist.

    I know that feeling of looking into the mirror and not seeing yourself, and I didn't even have any physical changes occur. I imagine the physical changes that resulted from your assault make it even more difficult to process. I don't how to make the hurt and confusion go away, but I do not that you are not alone in experiencing these emotions/internal battles. It is not uncommon even for people who go through less traumatic events, like changing jobs or moving to a new place, to experience identity disturbance. The "identity shock" these individuals face usually resolves fairly quickly, but I imagine it takes a lot longer with sexual assault.

    I don't know when, but the day will come when you look into the mirror and no longer see those menacing eyes. You will see yourself for the beautiful, caring, intelligent person that you are. You will find yourself again. Please continue to surround yourself with the love and support of your wonderful family because they can help you rediscover your unique and powerful inner core that still resides in you, but is difficult for you to see right now because of the trauma you've been through.

    There will come a day when you look in the mirror and see your eyes staring back at you. You will see the eyes of someone so strong - someone who went through hell, but managed to pick up the pieces and keep moving forward, all the while still finding wherewithal to touch the lives of others (ME, for example!).

    Right now the scar and trauma you faced are still fresh, but keep drudging through these extremely difficult initial stages of healing and one day you will shock yourself at how far you've come. You might still see the scar above your eye, but instead of it reminding you of the terrible things you had to endure, it will remind you of how much you overcame. Though it doesn't feel like it now, its sensitivity will fade along with all the stifling emotions surrounding what happened to you in that van.

    Jaime, my heart goes out to you. As your physical wounds continue to heal, it likely that many people will falsely assume that your heart has healed as well. Please know that I am here for support when the burden of pretending is too much to bear. I may not always know the best thing to say, but I am here cheering you on (no masks required!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much you like reading up on psychology so I thought I'd throw out a book recommendation you might be interested in - it's called "The Stranger in the Mirror" by Steinberg and Schnall. I have only poked my nose in it, but it seems like it has insightful info re struggles with identity. The book is not geared entirely towards trauma recovery, but it does address trauma issues within the greater framework of identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a free version of that book online in PDF format that I downloaded. I might start reading it later on. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know that I can remove the mask around you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. weetie, I know you can't remove your maks now, but now because you're not a strong person--you are very strong, or you wouldn't be writing about yout ordeal. I'm 55 and just writing about things that happened to me that are not nearly as traumatic as what happened to you, but have haunted me just below the surface, it seems, and it took a brutal medical procedal medical procedure to bring them to the top. So, no, you are not weak, just traumatized, and will get better over time, as you are dealing with your pain, now.

    ReplyDelete

Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.
- Oscar Wilde quotes